Position Title: Communications Associate
Reports to: Communications Specialist
Status: Part-time, 16 hrs/week, 6 months
Compensation: $8,000 Total Stipend
Application Deadline: March 25, 2016
Location: Oakland, CA or Washington, DC
The Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum (APIAHF) influences policy, mobilizes communities, and strengthens programs and organizations to improve the health of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) populations. Our values are respect, fairness, equity, and health justice for all. Founded in 1986, we advocate on issues critical to the health and well-being of our diverse and vibrant communities. We approach our work with the philosophy of coalition-building and developing capacity both for AAs and NHPIs and in partnership with diverse racial/ethnic communities. APIAHF is based in Oakland, CA and has an office in Washington, DC, which focuses on policy and communications.
The Communications Associate will help coordinate the communication activities for AIM for Equity and Action for Health Justice (AHJ) . AIM for Equity is a national network of over 30 local and national organizations working together to be a greater force for health justice and ensuring quality and culturally competent health care. AHJ consists of more than 70 national and local community-based organizations and health centers dedicated to educating, empowering and enrolling Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders in health coverage. In this role, the communications associate will help coordinate and implement email marketing messages, social media campaigns, and will help in developing content for the Aim for Equity and AHJ websites and any collateral materials needed to promote the work of the collaboratives. The communications associate will also manage and track communications activities to help inform the overall communications strategy.
Duties and Responsibility
- Develop and plan marketing materials and social media messages for events, campaigns, issues, press and media related content;
- Write, edit, or research information for articles/press releases;
- Track online engagement for social media accounts, websites, and email marketing platform;
- Participate in the planning of special events and other projects;
- Ensure accuracy and proofread all marketing materials;
- Update website as needed;
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, marketing, advertising, or public communications or 1-3 years experience in a related field
Skills, knowledge, and abilities
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and internet applications in a Windows environment.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and social media sites, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, and other third party systems used for developing digital metrics.
- Have at least 1-2 years experience working in a nonprofit setting.
- Knowledge of, and interest in, public health policies.
General APIAHF Roles
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among clients and staff.
- Enforces policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of APIAHF are implemented.
- Accountable for participation in decision making processes and understanding the outcomes.
- Understands the values and principles of APIAHF and applies them in work responsibilities.
- Participates in other activities, agency advocacy, and serves on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Attends APIAHF and Board of Directors meetings, when requested.
Mental and Physical Demands
- Pace of work is fast
- Standing time required is (10 %) including walking
- High level of concentration and attention to detail required
- Time speaking and listening: (range of 40%)
- Ability to travel by plane for long periods of time: none
To apply to this position please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org