The Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum (APIAHF) influences policy, mobilizes communities, and strengthens programs and organizations to improve the health of Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) populations. Our values are respect, fairness, equity, and health justice for all. Founded in 1986, we advocate on issues critical to the health and well-being of our diverse and vibrant communities. We approach our work with the philosophy of coalition-building and developing organizational and advocacy capacity for AAs and NHPIs and in partnership with diverse racial/ethnic communities. APIAHF works with a network of community- based organization (CBO) across 28 states and across the Pacific. APIAHF is based in Oakland, California and has an office in Washington, DC, which focuses on policy and communications.
Title: Chief of Staff (CoS)/Senior Vice President, Government Relations and Policy (SVP)
Reports to: President & CEO
Supervises: Dep CoS, Community Stakeholders; Executive Assistant; oversees Policy, Communications, and Network & Activation Teams
Location: Washington DC
The CoS/SVP will serve as the executive management staff position in Washington DC, overseeing four key functions of the organization: government relations and external affairs; policy analysis; strategic communications; and network & activation. The CoS/SVP also serves as a key strategic advisor and counsel to the CEO and the executive administrator of the Washington, DC Office.
The CoS/SVP is responsible for the design and deployment of critical resources to meet APIAHF’s strategic goals, to ensure integration of work across all functional areas, and to optimize the impact of APIAHF’s work at the local, regional, and national levels, all to effectively influence policy for positive social change.
The position is an executive management position, which oversees senior staff at the senior director and director levels, who are considered middle management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary duties are to achieve organization-wide goals, particularly special initiatives, campaigns, and programs, by deploying any and all resources and assets of the organization, including key stakeholders, including Board of Directors, Executive Team, staff, volunteers, and community partners and members, as well as corporate partners, funders, and other external partners.
- Serve as the lead strategist for the design, direction, and deployment for all policy change goals, objectives, and activities across the organization.
- Deploy resources for effective mobilization strategies and campaigns, as well as engagement of local and state-based constituencies to influence policy, including at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Oversee strategic business initiatives from development through successful execution, working with senior staff to deploy key resources.
- Provide key recommendations to the CEO, set the direction and strategy, and lead implementation of the organization’s policy work, directing programmatic and operational personnel and resources on how to implement the strategies.
- Take responsibility with the Executive team for how to grow and develop the capacity for optimal policy advocacy impact and influence by AANHPI communities, including at the staff professional development level, at the level of developing CBO partner capacities, and looking across the entire organization on how to achieve optimal impact and influence.
- Supervise senior staff in implementing the government relations, policy analysis, communications and marketing, and activation strategies of the organization’s work.
- Provide leadership for the entire staff, especially in areas of professional development, organizational culture, and vision and values of the organization.
- Develop, manage, and monitor organizational budgets, especially as they pertain to program, policy, and cross-cutting functional areas.
- Partner with the Executive team to develop content and collateral for fund development and fundraising.
- Review Internal and External communications, and as needed, approve newsletters and reports, as well as help to prepare speeches and/or presentations for the CEO.
- Represent APIAHF in public settings, speaking engagements, press events, and other public relations opportunities.
- Maintain and develop national profile and leadership role in AANHPI issues with a focus on public health and health policy.
- Administer and manage the Washington, DC office.
- Contribute to the management of the organization overall and fulfill additional duties as assigned by the CEO.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 15 years of management experience, in positions with progressively more authority and with at least 8 years of experience influencing and working closely with and at the executive level and with governance leaders.
- Management experience, must include supervision and human resources, risk identification and management, and change management. Preferred: has served as executive level management staff for at least 5 of those years. Non-profit management experience, preferred.
- Master’s level degree in a related field, including but not limited to law, public health, public policy, social work, public administration, or business.
Skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Proven track record of building and sustaining relationships/networks and developing effective partnerships across diverse constituent groups in order to achieve policy wins and/or innovative programming, preferably in the policy arena.
- Exceptional written, presentation and verbal communication skills that can be applied across all levels.
- Experience working with AA and/or NHPI communities.
- Deep commitment to working in a social justice and racial equity organization.
- High level of professionalism, including executive presence, appropriate discretion, and, as needed, the confidentiality required for serving at the highest leadership level of an organization.
- Policy advocacy and implementation experience, including proven skills in analyzing, designing strategy, and bringing to bear the data, stories, and information to impact public and private policy in order to achieve racial and/or health equity, which could include civil rights or immigration policy.
- Legislative and Regulatory Relations:
- Either direct federal legislative government experience at a senior and/or management level, or government relations experience including being the main liaison with policymakers and decision-makers, designing and executing external relations strategies, and overseeing large-scale efforts to change policy.
- Experience at the federal policy level required, with a preference for those who have both legislative affairs and regulatory experience. In addition, judicial branch advocacy experience, such as in preparing amicus briefs is preferred.
- Strong management capabilities
- Proven experience in managing, organizing, and directing multiple teams and departments with highly regarded people-management skills.
- Proven knowledge of budget management; and past experience of overseeing organization wide budgets of at least $3 million or more, including federal, state, and private grants and contracts.
- Experience and demonstrated creativity and innovation in program development in the health and human services field.
- Demonstrated experience securing contributions, grants and contracts for non- profits.
- Prior experience as SVP Government Relations and/or Policy or executive level experience in an advocacy entity.
- Advanced or terminal degrees (MA, MPH, MPP, MBA, JD, MD, PhD, DPH)
- Experience in policy advocacy work or in leadership in political institutions or campaigns.
- Experience working in philanthropy.
- Experience working in an AA and/or NHPI community-based organization in a management or leadership position.
- Bilingual/Bi-literate in Asian or Pacific Islander language preferred.
- Experience serving on a non-profit Board of Directors in a related field
General APIAHF Roles:
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among clients and staff.
- Enforces policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of APIAHF are implemented.
- Accountable for participation in decision making processes and understanding the outcomes.
- Understands the values and principles of APIAHF and applies them in work responsibilities.
- Participates in other activities, agency advocacy, and serves on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Attend APIAHF and Board of Directors meetings.
- Attend other meetings, including travel, as needed.
Mental and Physical Demands:
- Pace of work is fast.
- Sustained high level of concentration and attention
- Time speaking and listening: 90%
- Ability to travel by plane for long periods of time
- Ability to drive – current license
- Decision making impact: High – Organizational Wide
- Bilingual Skills: Preferred
- License or credentials: Master’s level degree as a minimum
Position available: July 1, 2019
Please submit cover letter and resume for consideration by July 22, 2019
Contact for submission: Martine Pham, Chief Administrative Officer, [email protected]