The Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum (APIAHF) influences policy, mobilizescommunities, and strengthens programs and organizations to improve the health of Asian American,Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) populations. Our values are respect, fairness,equity, and health justice for all. Founded in 1986, we advocate on issues critical to the healthand well-being of our diverse and vibrant communities. We approach our work with the philosophy ofcoalition-building and developing capacity both for AAs and NHPIs and in partnership with diverseracial/ethnic communities. APIAHF is based in Oakland and has an office in Washington, DC, whichfocuses on policy and communications.
Title: Fund Development Director
Reports to: Chief of Staff – Executive Office
The Fund Development Director is responsible for planning, organizing anddirecting all of APIAHF’s fundraising including campaigns, planned giving, special events andcorporate sponsorships. The Director works closely with the Board of Directors, the President &CEO, and the executive staff in all development and fund raising endeavors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Fund Development Strategy and Program
- Create and achieve financial targets for individual, major, corporate, and institutional fundraising opportunities
- Support annual fundraising drives, especially those conducted by the Board of Directors, including the development of solicitation materials, donor prospect research, and cultivation of prospects
- Create publications and develop communications strategies used to support fundraising activities as well as donor and funder reporting
- Grow a major gifts program, including identification of major donor prospects for unrestricted funding and implementation of solicitation strategies, including creating individual donor materials and letters
- Represent the agency to external bodies and interests as required for fund development promotion.
- Plan special fundraising events both locally and nationally
Systems and Infrastructure Development
- Implement a strategic fund development system, donor database and other infrastructural
resources needed for a strong development program.
- Assure maintenance of donor database; produce reports for executive team or board of directors on a regular basis to track progress and performance on designed campaigns and activities.
- Assure that the donor acknowledgement and recognition system meets the needs of donors in timeliness, responsiveness, and as donor interests and needs change.
- Keep abreast with innovations, changes, and developments in the field of fund development and philanthropy and recommends and implements adaptations and changes to keep the APIAHF development system current and effective.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or ten (10) years of work experience with fundraising, fund
development and donor cultivation
- Minimum of four years’ experience in any of the following areas fundraising in corporate and foundation giving, large individual grassroots and major donor solicitation
- One or more of the following: demonstrated ability to fundraise unrestricted funds; ability to cultivate relationships with corporations, major donors of various communities, and with both community funds and major foundations
Skills, knowledge and abilities
- Proven track record of raising funds
- Ability to work in a cross team fashion – strong interpersonal and coordination skills are critical
- Ability to handle multiple projects & tasks while maintaining attention to details
- Demonstrated experience with contact and database management systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and meeting facilitation
- Experience interacting with community, government, civic, business leaders, media and community based organizations
- Strong organizational skills and self-motivated
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with tact and excellent judgment, confidentiality and discretion
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem solving skills
- Master’s degree or twelve (12) years of experience with non-profits and fundraising
- Significant and progressive major donor fundraising experience having raised $500,000 from a campaign. (including major donors, corporate sponsorships, and board giving)
- History of community involvement and interest in philanthropy as well as informed knowledge of fundraising community
General APIAHF Roles
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among clients and staff.
- Enforces policies and procedures, including maintenance of confidentiality, to ensure that the principles of APIAHF are implemented.
- Accountable for participation in decision making processes and understanding the outcomes.
- Understands the values and principles of APIAHF and applies them in work responsibilities.
- Participates in other activities, agency advocacy, and serves on ad hoc committees as requested.
- Attends APIAHF and Board of Directors meetings, when required.
Mental and Physical Demands
- Pace of work is fast
- Standing time required is 15% including walking
- High level of concentration and attention to detail required.
- Time speaking and listening: 45%
- Ability to travel by plane for long periods of time
- Decision making impact: High
- Bilingual Skills: Preferred but not required
- License or credentials: None
- Ability to drive, current license
To apply for this position please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject heading “Fund Development Director Application.” Deadline for application is February 28, 2019.